I was having dinner with a friend the other night and he challenged me to come up with my Top 5 Desert Island books, TV shows, and movies. At the time I felt like I was put on the spot and couldn’t answer him, but now that I’ve had a chance to think about it I thought that it would be fun to share my answers here as well as with him. I’ve also listed some contenders because I wanted you to get a general sense of what was in the running and how hard these decisions were to make.
Disclaimer: These come to you in no particular ranking. Also, per his rules, series will be counted as one book.
- Gilmore Girls
- Battestar Galactica
- The West Wing
Contenders: Veronica Mars, White Collar, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Friday Night Lights, and Greek.
- The Black Jewels series by Anne Bishop (9 books)
- The Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson (6 books and counting)
- The Sevenwaters series by Juliet Marillier (6 books)
- The Exiles series by Melanie Rawn (2 books)
- The Court of Thorns and Roses series by Sarah J. Maas (2 books and counting)
Contenders: The Red Rising Series by Pierce Brown, The Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas, Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card, the Harry Potter series by JK Rowling and the Mercedes Thompson series by Patricia Briggs.
- X-Men (2000)
- Brooklyn (2015)
- The Devil Wears Prada (2006)
- Howl’s Moving Castle (2004)
- Serenity (2005)
Contenders: Pride and Prejudice (2005), the Matrix (1999), Captain America: The First Avenger (2011), X-Men First Class (2011), The Intern (2015), How to Train Your Dragon (2010), and Big Hero 6 (2014).